The SSAS Committee provides representation to the Executive Committee of the APM through the Chair . The other committee members support the chair in all duties including its representation and responsibilities on other APM Committees .
The Committee provides a contact point for SSAS members looking for help and advice , including guidance on issues such as appraisal and revalidation, as well as being aware of requirements for specialist accreditation . The committee coordinates activities for this group including the organisation of an annual study day and will maintain the SSAS pages on the APM website.
SSAS Study Day – Presentations now available via this link
Date of event: 5 November 2015
Heads Up: Palliative Care issues affected by changes in cognition and an update on oncology treatment
|Dr Helen Bonwick||Joint Chair|
|Dr Esraa Sulaivany||Joint Chair|
|Dr Beth Williams||Professional Standards Committee Rep|
|Dr Nicola Goss||Workforce Committee Rep|
|Dr Simon Brooks||Website|
SSAS Survey Report
The SSAS Committee are happy to give advice and support to individual members of the APM. The Committee has been asked about contract and workload issues and very specific problems that colleagues are facing. They may not have all the answers but can listen and hopefully point you in the direction of further help.
APM Mentoring Scheme
Don’t forget that the scheme is available to SSAS doctors. If you are interested in training as a mentor, contact Becki Munro in the first instance.
CESR (Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration)
The Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians Training Board (JRCPTB) provides specialist physician training in the UK. Click here for further details on applying for a CESR.
Click here for FAQs on applying to the Specialist Register for Palliative Medicine under Article 14 (CESR) route.
Career Development and Funding
It’s worth contacting your local deanery to find out whether funding is available for continuing education in your area. Click here for links to deaneries in England.
Click here for helpful advice on career development for SSAS doctors.
NHS Trusts awarding 2 days leave to SSAS doctors[taken from the BMA free access site]
As at 4 June 2015 the following employers in England have agreed local policies to reward 7 years service in the SAS grades with two additional days leave:
1. University Hospitals Bristol Foundation Trust
2. Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust;
3. West Middlesex University Trust;
4. Alder Hey Children’s Hospital NHS Trust;
5. Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust including Royal Preston Hospital;
6. Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust;
7. University Hospitals Southampton NHS Foundation Trust;
8. Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
9. Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust
10. Central Manchester NHS Foundation Trust
11. South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
12. Lincolnshire Partnership Trust
13. Kent Community Health NHS Trust
14. Kent and Medway Social Care Partnership NHS Trust.
15. South Warwickshire Foundation Trust
16. North East London NHS FT
17. Taunton NHS Foundation Trust from April 2015
18. Oxford University Hospitals
19. Leeds & York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
20. East Kent Hospitals University NHS FT
21. South Essex – (1 additional day agreed)