Association for Palliative Medicine
8 Barnes Wallis Road
T: 01489 668332
The type of personal information we collect
We currently collect and process the following information:
- Personal identifiers, contacts and characteristics (for example, name and contact details)
- Professional details (for example GMC number, qualifying date or anticipated date, employer or place of work, employment history and biography)
- Financial information (for example bank account number, direct debit mandate)
How we get the personal information and why we have it
All of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for the purpose of membership administration. Activities that are encompassed within this purpose are
- Attendance at conference
- Providing current awareness
- The making of, and nominating for, awards
- Carrying out surveys (eg Famcare, Workforce)
- The publication of articles via the website or bulletins
- Carrying out duties concerned with the administration of the Association
- Advertising or promoting material on behalf of third parties
- The publication of vacancies or other employment related opportunities
We may share your information (for example with the providers of subscription journals, conference providers, Board and committee members) and if you become a member of our Board (for example with Companies House, the Charity Commission).
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful basis we rely on for processing this information is that we have a contractual obligation with you.
How we store your personal information
Your information is securely stored electronically or in hard copy via our registered office.
We keep information about you while you are a member of the Association. We will securely dispose your information within one year of you leaving the APM.
Information about your participation in notable works or your public achievements will be held in perpetuity (as part of the Association’s historic record).
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
In the United Kingdom, you can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk
In Ireland, you may also complain to the Data Protection Commissioner.
The DPC’s address:
Data Protection Commission
21 Fitzwilliam Square South
DPC website: https://www.dataprotection.ie/